Wanting to cull my social media footprint to a manageable level, I decided on the ambitious task of lowering the number of my Fb friends to just below Dunbar’s number ( which is 150 friends). While easy in theory, it was molasses to bring about into practice.
I want others to be spared the headache of going through the entire process I had to, so here’s a framework to quickly go through a first pass curation of your online relationships.
You can use it, with appropriate modifications, for Instagram & Twitter too.
Just go through the checklist below & unfriend anyone that meets the criteria.
- Mark themselves safe in Mumbai “floods”
- Have pictures taken using selfie sticks
- Compulsively share fb memories to make themselves feel better about getting older
- Two words: food pics
- Check in every time they eat out
- Share cat videos
- Are registered as blood donors on Facebook yet demonstrate no inclication towards donating blood irl
- Shill their fake handbag “business” excessively
- Suffer from “me me me” syndrome
- Share no posts where you actually learn something about our wonderful and fascinating world
- People who make you go ‘who the fuck is this’?
- Share shitty buzzfeed links
- Excessively political
- People you haven’t spoken to in 3 years or more
- 20-year-old unemployed humanities students sharing their own insights into government economic policies & world politics
- Any people left over if you’re still over Dunbar’s number